It is a condition where the prostate gets bigger usually it may start at age 40 and commonly at 50-60 years.
This can cause urinary symptoms including weak urine stream, frequency of urination at day and night time.
1) We ask about the symptoms.
2) Urine test , urine flow test and bladder ultrasound, PSA are done.
3)Urodynamic test and cystoscopy can be done in some cases.
1) Watchful waiting and behavioral modifications. including decreasing fluid intake especially caffeinated drinks.
2) Medical therapy: A group called alfa blockers which relax the prostatic urethra. They are effective in 60-70% OF cases. Side effects include dizziness , retrograde ejaculation. Commonly needs to be taken life long.
- Is a common procedure where scraping obstructive prostate tissues from the urethra is done under anesthesia.
- Can mainly be done for glands less than 80 cc
- A catheter with irrigation is put in urethra for 1-3 days.
- Patients should drink fluids.
- Patient should refrain from sexual activity for 1 month.
- Patient should avoid heavy lifting and constipation.
- Within the first week to 6 weeks postoperatively patient may get burning and frequency of urination with mild blood in the urine. This will usually subside.
- If severe bleeding with urine, fever or inability to urinate then come to emergency department.
Resection and Vaporization
This technique uses a device which has good effect to decrease bleeding and no absorption problems that can happen with standard TURP technique.
It useful for prostates less than 80 ml.
Laser Enucleation of Prostate